Home Forums Ask Billy A Couple Of Questions… Reply To: A Couple Of Questions…

billyboy1

Hi Chris. Thanks for the good wishes and I send the same to you.
Just today our government here in Scotland hinted on a return to some sort of normality by June so here’s hoping.
I can answer your technical questions quite briefly so here goes.
No, I have no plans or desires to do any live streaming of any kind now or in the future. My enjoyment of playing has always been to a live audience regardless of how many and I don’t see that changing, ever.
As for studio mics and other equipment, I always trusted engineers like yourself to select the right tools for the job and my home recording set up was basically a Shure 58 mic, some reverb/compression and the best take I could sing in one go.
(I was affectionately known in Nazareth as “One Take Rankin”)
I no longer own a record player but when I did it was a “Linn” deck and stylus.
Linn may not be well known to you but they are one of the best (and expensive) turntable makers based here in Scotland and renowned the world over for accurate vinyl sound reproduction.
Finally to your All Nite Radio query and it’s a good’un.
When I wrote “Love Leads to Madness” with Darrell for the 2XS album, it was jokingly referred to as “Agnes” by Dan who liked to imagine we were singing “Our Love Leads to Agnes”: Agnes being a popular woman’s name for old Scottish grandmothers at the time.
Fast forward to the vocal recording of “Radio” where someone suggested Dan make some kind of reference to the former in the outro as both songs share a “Madness” theme.
“I’ve got it!” Dan nodded so we ran the tape, all expecting to hear him sing a line or two like “Do I feel alright” but instead he spoke what you heard but couldn’t work out and made us laugh enough to leave it in.
Dan is actually saying “Agnes, Agnes, Agnes, Agnes” at the end of All Nite Radio.
Thanks for reminding me Chris, it made me chuckle all over again.
Take care, till next time.

Billy.