Home Forums Ask Billy A Couple Of Questions…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Hludzik
    Participant

Hi Billy,
    Long time no talk, but there’s only so many questions I can ask about Sound Elixir 🙂

OK, I lied, I actually DO have a question about Sound Elixir…in the outro of  “All Nite Radio” a voice can be faintly heard (I’m assuming Dan’s?). Any idea what they’re saying?

Another question. Would you consider doing a livestream on youtube or facebook? Would be great to hear you play some tunes (it’s the only way a lot of us original musicians in the States have been able to do it). Would also be cool to chat/request songs in real time.

And another question. Do you have a turntable and still play records on a regular basis? If so, what model turntable do you have?

Also wanted to ask about your microphone preferences for recording. You talk a lot on the site about being very hands on with recording, but don’t seem to go too far into the weeds about it (which I totally understand – not everyone cares about those things, and not everyone will understand them), but I’m always fascinated with stuff like that, being an engineer myself.

Hope all is well with you and yours. Hopefully we’re nearing some light at the end of the tunnel regarding all this craziness.

Regards,
    Chris.

billyboy1

Hi Chris. Thanks for the good wishes and I send the same to you.
    Just today our government here in Scotland hinted on a return to some sort of normality by June so here’s hoping.
    I can answer your technical questions quite briefly so here goes.
    No, I have no plans or desires to do any live streaming of any kind now or in the future. My enjoyment of playing has always been to a live audience regardless of how many and I don’t see that changing, ever.
    As for studio mics and other equipment, I always trusted engineers like yourself to select the right tools for the job and my home recording set up was basically a Shure 58 mic, some reverb/compression and the best take I could sing in one go.
    (I was affectionately known in Nazareth as “One Take Rankin”)
    I no longer own a record player but when I did it was a “Linn” deck and stylus.
    Linn may not be well known to you but they are one of the best (and expensive) turntable makers based here in Scotland and renowned the world over for accurate vinyl sound reproduction.
    Finally to your All Nite Radio query and it’s a good’un.
    When I wrote “Love Leads to Madness” with Darrell for the 2XS album, it was jokingly referred to as “Agnes” by Dan who liked to imagine we were singing “Our Love Leads to Agnes”: Agnes being a popular woman’s name for old Scottish grandmothers at the time.
    Fast forward to the vocal recording of “Radio” where someone suggested Dan make some kind of reference to the former in the outro as both songs share a “Madness” theme.
    “I’ve got it!” Dan nodded so we ran the tape, all expecting to hear him sing a line or two like “Do I feel alright” but instead he spoke what you heard but couldn’t work out and made us laugh enough to leave it in.
    Dan is actually saying “Agnes, Agnes, Agnes, Agnes” at the end of All Nite Radio.
    Thanks for reminding me Chris, it made me chuckle all over again.
    Take care, till next time.

Billy.

Chris Hludzik
    Participant

Thanks for the answers Billy! I understand about wanting to perform in front of people (I’m hoping to do so again as well, once all this pandemic business is over with). Our governor in Pennsylvania is lifting some of the restrictions starting in April, so yes, hopefully a return to (somewhat) normal.

I have heard of Linn turntables, The Linn Sondek is actually very revered in the vinyl community. As for me, I have a Technics 1200 MKII and Technics SL-Q300, both with Audio Technica cartridges and styli.

And amazingly, I have never owned an actual SM58 mic (just cheap copies), but I have used and recorded them many times, they are powerful mics with very high output. I did a livestream with my friend back in December, and he brought his 58 to sing into, and I just had the gain nudged a little bit past 1 on the channel on the mixing board and he was coming through loud and clear, anything past that it would start feeding back!

The “Agnes” thing will stick with me forever. Great to see you guys took advantage of your Scottish sense of humor, and glad I could help bring back an old memory! 🙂

Thanks again, Billy, and stay safe and well.

Chris.

billyboy1

You’re welcome Chris and hopefully we’ll be back out chasing Agnes soon!
    Cheers, Billy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.