Home Forums Ask Billy Bob’s Garage

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rrip12
    Participant

Hello again Billy, I read in your vault section about the time you went to Bob’s garage in Twin Peaks Washington State. Bob Rivers played your performance on his station, KISW in Seattle a few times and he said he had a great time that night. He also said he couldn’t believe how much beer you guys could drink and still sound so good. At the time I lived just down the street from Bob Rivers and Nazareth’s garage tape was requested quite a bit on his station. How I wish I’d have recorded all of it because it seems to be obsolete now, other than Hair Of The Dog in the vault section here. I called in requests for it all the time, and he usually played a song to get me to quit calling all the time. It was played on our shop radio at Boeing so a lot of people who had never heard it started calling in requests too. KISW was and still may be the most popular station in Seattle. I saw Nazareth several times in Seattle and Everett Washington, and just had a good time. Such good memories. Enough of my rambling, I’m having a hell of a time on your web page here. Cheers to you, Doug from Tacoma Washington.

billyboy1

Hey Doug. Sorry for my delayed response.
    Yeah, that day at Bob’s place was memorable on so many levels. We thought we’d just be doing a couple of live performances from our current touring set but after he’d played us some of his “Twisted Tunes” and got us pleasantly “relaxed” we got into the whole vibe.
    Bob introduced us to his fantastic band of musicians and they all wanted to use our backing track of “Hair of the Dog” to create a new spoof song which we readily agreed to.
    I wonder if they ever did?
    I can’t remember which other songs we recorded that day, can you?
    Anyhoo, Ramble On my friend and as always, stay safe.

Cheers, Billy

rrip12
    Participant

I think you played Gatecrash and Love Leads To Madness, but I don’t remember for sure. How stupid of me not to have recorded it. Back then I could have kept up with you guys with beer drinking. Sure as crap I couldn’t now. I emailed Bob Rivers and hopefully he responds, and possibly has a copy of it. I’ll certainly let you know. He one time said you guys were his favorite band to have play in his garage.

billyboy1

If Bob gets back to you that would be great and if he still has the recordings that would be even better.
    I can definitely confirm we didn’t play either of those ditties although I wish we had!
    I’m thinking maybe “Whiskey Drinking Woman” and “Right Between the Eyes” were included but like you, my memories are faded a bit.
    Incidentally, beer drinking is not a matter of life or death. It’s far more important than that!

rrip12
    Participant

Hey Billy you just kicked my memory into gear. In 1992 or so, I hadn’t heard any new Nazareth singles on Seattle radio since they stopped playing Dream On, & Love Leads To Madness. Then I heard Bob Rivers talking about you guys and his garage tapes, and he did play Right Between The Eyes. That’s when I found out about No Jive, and went out and bought the CD and CD player because it was the 1st CD I ever bought. And that night I heard Thinkin Man’s Nightmare and it just blew me away. Bob hasn’t replied to my email yet, but I’ll let you know when he does. And if he has any tapes of you guys from that night I will get them to you. I remember him saying the limo had a case of beer for you guys when he picked you up from the airport and stopped for another case before they got to his house about an hour later. My God that would’ve been fun to be there that night.

billyboy1

Aye Doug, a case of beer wouldn’t have been enough!
    Keep us updated re-Bob. It would be great to have the whole session on the website.
    Cheers, Billy

rrip12
    Participant

Well Billy, Bob hasn’t responded yet like I thought he would. If I somehow get ahold of his tape I’ll get it to you. Sorry my friend. I do promise to look and listen to everything on this site. I tried to buy your book a few years ago but I couldn’t get it shipped to the U.S., so I’m glad you have this site now. I’m probably one of the world’s biggest 2XS and No Jive fans. Hair Of The Dog is great too, but the aforementioned ones are better in my biased opinion. I’m not kidding, they truly are masterpieces. I must’ve drank a sea of beer listening to 2XS in 1982. A great musician you are indeed.

billyboy1

Thanks for the compliments Doug and no worries re-Bob. I seem to remember emailing him years ago when I worked at Rock Radio asking his permission to play some of his Twisted Tunes on my breakfast show. I too got no reply so we played ‘em regardless. Sorry I can’t help you with my book, I don’t have a copy myself or I would gladly send you it. The original publisher has since left the business. Coincidence? I’m saying nowt!

rrip12
    Participant

Billy, I forgot this bit of info; Bob left KISW a few years after you met him. He went to 102.5 KZOK and brought with him his main Twisted Tune writer and singer, the very talented Spike O’Neil. Bob retired about 8 years ago and Spike remained as a DJ until 2 years ago, when KZOK didn’t offer him a contract renewal, instead, they offered a DJ contract to Danny Bonaduce of The Partridge Family fame, and I believe they couldn’t afford to keep Spike too. As Myles Goodwyn of April Wine once sang; Rock and roll is a vicious game. I bet the radio DJ business is a vicious game as well. Before I forget, when I 1st got internet and a computer in 1996, I contacted Manny somehow, and asked him the chords to Love Leads To Madness & how to play the fingerpicking intro to Fallen Angel from Malice In Wonderland. I was and still am a very amateur guitarist. He actually emailed me back and explained them both to me. So apparently you and Manny are the coolest of the Scottish musicians. I enjoyed reading you response to the troll a few days ago.

billyboy1

All interesting stuff Doug, I didn’t know about the Twisted Tunes set up and the viscous business of Radio. Oh wait. Yes I did, cos I was in that too! The troll was unfortunate but we had the choice of deleting him or shutting him down so, well yeah, job done. Most interesting however is your mention of Danny Bonaduce. I don’t know if you’re aware but we did a great session for him in Chicago which can be heard in the “Nazareth 8 Move Me” section of the site. Danny had my full respect till Donny Osmond beat him up in a charity boxing match a few years later. And they called it Puppy Love? Hmm. Always a pleasure talking with you Doug and as always, stay safe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.