Home Forums Ask Billy Question on Crankin credits

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fatman Doug
    Participant

Alright Billy, just wondered, looking at the Crankin’ credits, TV superstar Dougie Donnelly gets a mention. Did he help in a musical sense, a promotional sense, or did he get you a deal from a furniture shop in Tillicoutry, near Stirling? Talking of TV presenters, I’m guessing your ex-main man Jim White isn’t the same guy who asked Brian Laudrop why he was so good?

F(u)D

billyboy1

You are correct on the Jim White observation.
    My ex-manager of the same name wouldn’t have recognised the genius of Mr Laudrop.
    On the other point, I assume you mean the mention Dougie received on Growing Up Too Fast?
    This was to do with the song “Burning Down” which closes the album and was written about the Jacobite rebellion of 1745.
    I wanted the track to fade out to the sound of a live crowd singing “Flower of Scotland” and Dougie Donnelly obliged by sending us the tape of Jim Watt’s World Championship fight at Ibrox, 1980.
    I think you’ll agree he did a Sterling job.
    (Ach, look what you made me say!)

Fatman Doug
    Participant

Yep, sorry Billy, I did mean Growing Up Too Fast.

I’m glad Dougie was able to furnish(!) you with the tape.

Was thinking about your other tenuous links to sports announcers of the day. You mentioned one of your songs being used by pop legends Middle of the Road, and of course Sally Carr was tubbed by Chick Young (how the hell did he manage that?), and of course Tam Ferrie was a big Nazareth fan. Wonder if there’s any more.

billyboy1

I have no explanation for the Chick Young/Sally Carr connection but having done many a charity event with Chico he always seemed to get on with women’s guide dugs. I have many links with sporting personalities however.
    Most of Rangers 1st team would come to see me play at The Newlands Hotel after training sessions in the 80’s. In fact Super Ally himself was my guest for the School of Rock book launch at the Solid Rock. Some say that he signed more copies than I did but Ah’m no havin that.
    I spent an enjoyable time chatting with Stephen Hendry on a flight till his wee manager told him to stop talking to me.
    I also shared a drink with Kenny Dalglish in a London hotel on the day I didn’t join Whitesnake.
    Want more?
    Okay. We met the legendary soccer star Zico in a Sau Paulo bar and on the same tour we told Ronnie Biggs to fuck off at our gig in Rio.
    Ronnie’s sporting connection is of course that he was a well known great trainer of robbers.

Fatman Doug
    Participant

Thanks Billy, great stuff. Must have been great associating with that Rangers team in the 80s and meeting some great players. And Stuart Munro as well.

I’m gutted as you signed my copy of your book outside the Solid Rock that night, and I gather that’s where Mr McCoist was. I probably walked by him thinking he was some old bloke having a seat before getting the late bus back to Milton. But hey ho.

Loved the recollection of your adventures with sports stars, did you ever come across Scotland’s premier world champion athlete, Jocky Wilson?

Fatman Doug
    Participant

Sorry Billy, I meant to add in the last post. Obviously, you have a soft spot for the teddy bears and Dan has no interest in football, being a Dunfermline FC fan, but have the other members of the band either football allegiances or are fans of other sports?

billyboy1

That night at the Solid when me and Ally we’re enjoying a moment outside, a homeless guy approached us with a request for ‘spare change’. I added a few pound coins to his plastic cup and Ally offered a crisp tenner. This was rejected with the classic response ‘Naw, yer awright mate. Ah’m a Celtic supporter.’ As for your other question, no. None of the other band members had any interest in sport. Unless we were competing with anyone from England.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.