Home Forums Ask Billy Rerecordings

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hobobeast
    Participant

Billy, I’ve been a huge fan for a long time. I was wondering if you would ever consider rerecordings some of your solo classics with a live drummer? Is this ever a possibility?

billyboy1

Well Hello! Thanks for asking a good question. As I’ve said on the website I was always slightly embarrassed to have asked one of the best drummers in the world (Mr Ted McKenna) to play along with a Linn drum machine on Growing Up Too Fast, but it was kinda what A&M records were looking for at that time. It’s to Ted’s great credit he didn’t refuse or kick me in the balls, but I think his fills added just the right human touch to make the record work. Incidentally we did record one song with live drums (Baby’s Got a Gun) which is still my favourite track of the album so maybe you’re onto something there. My other two solo albums were done mainly with real drums courtesy of Gary Ferguson and Colin Irvine, but maybe your question is more subjective than that. For example: “Bring it on Home to Mama” from Nazareth’s “Move Me” album was hailed by many as, and I quote: “Darrell Sweet’s finest drumming ever!” It was, of course all done on a Roland R8 drum machine so what would re-recording my stuff actually achieve? Thanks for your appreciation and attention to detail. Are you by any chance a drummer?
    Take care and stay safe.
    Billy.

hobobeast
    Participant

Billy,

Thank you. I play drums, but don’t consider myself a drummer. I’m just a lover of good rhythm sections.

Rerecordings would serve no purpose other than to bring happiness to my ears.

Ted McKenna was among my favorite drummers, he and Chris Glen were a formidable duo. It’s a shame he’s gone now.

I saw you once in concert, not sure who the drummer was, but “Baby Come Back” popped with a live drummer (please don’t tell me he used a drum machine, too). This was during the Growing Up tour in San Antonio.

billyboy1

Yeah, Ted and Chris were indeed a powerful combination. Thanks for coming to see me way back then. The drummer on the tour was Gary Ferguson who also played on my 2nd album. He’s a hard hitter!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.